Looking for a quick and simple way to add TV shows to Plex manually? Well, look no further! In this article, we’ll show you how to effortlessly add your favorite TV shows to Plex, ensuring that your media library is complete and up to date. No need to fumble through complicated steps or rely on external tools – we’ve got you covered. So, if you’re ready to take control and enhance your Plex experience, let’s dive right in!
Plex Add TV Shows Manually: A Comprehensive Guide
Plex is a popular media server platform that allows you to organize and stream your personal collection of movies, TV shows, music, and more. While Plex is typically great at automatically finding and adding metadata for your media, there may be occasions when you need to manually add TV shows to your Plex library. In this guide, we will walk you through the process of manually adding TV shows to Plex, ensuring that your media collection remains complete and accessible.
Why Manual TV Show Addition?
In some cases, Plex may not be able to recognize or locate certain TV shows in its extensive database. This can happen with rare or lesser-known shows, local productions, or older series. By manually adding TV shows, you can ensure that Plex includes them in your library, providing seamless access to your entire collection. Manual addition is also useful if you have media files that are not named or organized in a way that Plex can automatically recognize.
Preparing Your TV Show Files
Before adding TV shows manually to Plex, it’s essential to make sure your media files are properly organized to ensure a smooth experience. Follow these steps to prepare your TV show files:
- Folder Structure: Create a dedicated folder for each TV show. Within each show folder, create individual season folders, numbered sequentially.
- Naming Convention: Use a consistent naming convention for TV show files, such as “ShowName – SXXEXX – EpisodeTitle.ext”. Replace “XX” with the appropriate season and episode numbers.
- Metadata Files: If available, include metadata files like subtitles or episode summaries within the respective show or season folders.
Adding TV Shows to Plex Manually
Now that you have organized your TV show files, it’s time to manually add them to Plex. Follow these steps to ensure a successful manual addition:
- Access Plex Web App: Open your web browser and navigate to the Plex Web App.
- Login to Your Plex Account: Enter your Plex account credentials to log in.
- Access Your Plex Library: Click on the “Libraries” tab to access your existing libraries or create a new one dedicated to TV shows.
- Create a New TV Show Library: Click on “Add Library” and choose the type as “TV Shows.”
- Provide Library Name: Enter a descriptive name for your TV show library.
- Select Media Type: Choose the appropriate media type based on your TV show files.
- Choose the Language: Specify the language of your TV show files.
- Select Advanced Options: Customize advanced options like scanner and agent settings if necessary.
- Add TV Show Folder: Click on “Add Folder” and navigate to the folder containing your TV show files. Select the relevant show folder.
- Confirm Folder Addition: Review the summary and click “Add Library” to confirm the addition of your TV show library to Plex.
- Refresh Library: Plex will start scanning and matching your TV show files. You can manually refresh the library to expedite the process.
- Edit TV Show Metadata: If Plex does not automatically retrieve accurate metadata, you can edit or search for the correct information manually.
Troubleshooting and Tips
While adding TV shows manually to Plex is usually straightforward, you may encounter a few challenges along the way. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you out:
- File Naming: Ensure that your TV show files adhere to Plex’s recommended naming convention for optimal recognition.
- Metadata Search: If Plex is unable to find the correct metadata, use the “Fix Match” or “Match” options to search for the show manually.
- Metadata Agents: Verify that the metadata agents are properly configured in your Plex server settings.
- Library Refresh: If your TV show files aren’t appearing in Plex, try manually refreshing the library to trigger a rescan.
Manually adding TV shows to Plex ensures that your entire collection is accessible and organized within the Plex ecosystem. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can seamlessly integrate rare, local, or unrecognized TV shows into your Plex library. Enjoy the convenience of streaming your favorite shows and building a comprehensive media collection with Plex.
Remember, manual additions are not limited to TV shows only. You can use a similar process to add other types of media, such as movies or music, to your Plex library. With Plex, you have full control over your media organization, opening up a world of entertainment possibilities.
How to Add TV Shows to Plex
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I manually add TV shows to Plex?
To manually add TV shows to Plex, follow these steps:
1. Open the Plex Media Server and sign in.
2. Go to your Plex library and select the TV Shows section.
3. Click on the “Add Library” button.
4. Choose the “TV Shows” option.
5. Enter a name for your TV show library and select the folder where your TV shows are stored.
6. Click on the “Add Library” button to finish adding your TV shows manually to Plex.
What format should the TV show files be in for Plex?
Plex supports a wide range of formats for TV show files. Some of the common formats include MP4, MKV, AVI, and MOV. However, it’s always recommended to check Plex’s official website or user forums for the most up-to-date list of supported file formats.
Do I need to organize my TV show files in a specific folder structure?
Plex requires TV show files to be organized in a specific folder structure for proper recognition. Each TV show should have its own folder, and within that folder, each season should be in its own subfolder. The naming convention for TV show files and folders should follow Plex’s guidelines to ensure correct matching and metadata retrieval.
How can I ensure accurate metadata and artwork for manually added TV shows on Plex?
Plex retrieves metadata and artwork for TV shows from various online sources. To ensure accurate information, make sure the TV show files are named correctly and organized in the recommended folder structure. You can also manually edit and match metadata using the “Edit” or “Fix Match” option within Plex.
Can I add TV shows to Plex from an external hard drive or network-attached storage?
Yes, you can add TV shows to Plex from an external hard drive or network-attached storage (NAS). Simply connect the external drive or configure the NAS as a media source within Plex Media Server. Then follow the steps mentioned earlier to manually add the TV shows to your Plex library.
How do I update TV show information or add new episodes manually in Plex?
To update TV show information or add new episodes manually in Plex, navigate to the specific TV show in your Plex library. Right-click on the TV show or episode and select the “Refresh Metadata” or “Fix Match” option. Plex will then search for updated information and artwork based on the file’s metadata.
To manually add TV shows to Plex, simply follow a few easy steps. First, ensure that your TV show files are named correctly and organized in separate folders. Then, open Plex on your device and navigate to the Library section. Click on “Add Library” and select “TV Shows.” Choose the type of library and point Plex to the folder where your TV show files are stored. Plex will automatically scan and add the shows to your library. So, whether you prefer managing your content manually or want to add specific TV shows, Plex’s flexible system allows you to do so effortlessly. Plex add TV shows manually is a convenient feature that offers you complete control over your media library.